Monday, January 2, 2017

Devot. A New Song for A New Year

Dear Friends,

I pray you had a very blessed New Year's weekend! Well, we are into a brand new week and year.

As many folks do at this time of year, New Year resolutions are made.  We promise to exercise more, work harder on the job, watch what we eat and other promises.    I for one have since given up trying to make any resolutions:) They never seem to stick very long:)
I was pondering that today:  Why don't we keep our resolutions very long and are we making the right promises?
I think one reason why our promises don't last is because we have made too many and we are trying to keep them in our own strength instead of asking the Lord that we need the determine to keep them.
 
Ephesians 6:10 is my life verse-a verse that I base my life on, "Finally, my brethren, (my brothers and sisters in Christ) be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might."
The Lord promises to give me the strength I need to be who HE wants me to be, all I have to do is ask.
Also are our promises worth while beyond this life?  Yes, its good to think of how to better ourselves while we are here, but in addition or saving more than we spend for instance, why not make a promise to give 10% back to Lord ("tithe" as it is mentioned in the Old and New Testament) to further missionary work around the work? Reflect a difference, HIS difference so that others will see we have something they don't have and ask what (or WHO) makes us different.
Now, I already said I wasn't going to make any resolutions, but I am going to make some determinations:)   Things that I know I need to wok on that would also glorify the Lord:  Be more selfless,  be more kind/sensitive to other's hurting hearts;  be more bold for the Lord I my everyday life, mature spiritually.   
 I think if we each work on small areas- spiritual and physical areas- a little bit everyday as the opportunities arise, and then work on the larger areas as the year goes on, of course asking the Lord determination and strength, I think we can make a difference in the lives of others around us this year:) 

Lord bless you and yours this week!    Devot. below used by permission.   Taken from http://www.icr.org/


Share with a friend

 
 January 1, 2017
A New Song for a New Year
“Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.” (Psalm 33:3)
 
This is the first of nine references in the Bible to a “new song.” Appropriately, the song of Psalm 33 deals with the primeval event of creation, and it is the first psalm that does so (note also Psalm 104, etc.).
 
The new song is to be sung with instrumental accompaniment. However, the Hebrew word translated “loud noise” is so translated nowhere else; it is translated many different ways, but perhaps the familiar rendering “joyful sound” (Psalm 89:15) is the most appropriate here. In any case, this new song is of great importance and so should be performed well and joyfully, for it deals with the grandest of themes.
 
First of all is the great assertion that “the word of the LORD” is always right and the “works” of the Lord are always of truth (33:4). His righteousness and goodness are evident everywhere to those with eyes to see and hearts to believe (v. 5).
 
Then there is the vital revelation that God’s creation of all things was simply by His mighty word, “the breath of his mouth,” accomplished instantly, and not dragged out over long ages of evolutionary trial and error. “He spake, and it was done” (vv. 6, 9).
 
Furthermore, it is a comfort to know that God does not change, though new years come and go. “The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever” (v. 11). “Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD” (v. 12).
 
There are many other great themes in this new song, and it would indeed be well to read and rehearse them all as the new year begins, committing ourselves once again to the faithful teaching of His inerrant Word, His magnificent creation, and His great salvation. HMM
 

 
Institute for Creation Research - 1806 Royal Lane, Dallas TX 75229
This email was sent to | Print this article

No comments:

Post a Comment