Friday, February 8, 2019

Devot. A Lifestyle of Forgiveness

Hi Folks,
 
I hope you had a super week!
Below is a devot. that is  throw back to Tuesday's devot. on forgiveness. It's certainly not easy, esp. when someone has wronged you.
 
My dear mom frequently reminds me of Romans 12:19, "Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves,
but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord." 
(The part "for it is written" means that this passage  comes from the Old Testament, Deuteronomy 32:35,  "To me [the Lord] belongeth vengeance and recompence;  their foot shall slide in due time: for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste.")
 
My mom reminds me that I am not the one to "get even" with someone, but rather to let the Lord bring justice in  His own time and in the meantime ask the Lord to help me forgive, as unforgiveness eats away at myself, not the one who has done me wrong.
 
  Now, does that mean if a crime is committed (something of that nature), justice should not be served?  Not at all!  Romans 13:1-5 say that rulers are used of God to bring forth justice.
" For he (a ruler, someone is a position of bringing forth justice-could be a judge, police officer etc..) is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:  (he is in a position to execute justice for a reason!) for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."
 
We also see in the Old Testament many  verses that speak of punishing someone for a crime.  And even though it's in the OT, many of our laws our actually taken from those passages:)
 
I pray that the devot. is an encouragement to you this weekend!
 
Lord bless you and yours.
 
(Used by permission.   Taken from https://www.intouch.org/)

No comments:

Post a Comment