Sunday, January 17, 2021

Devot. A Word for the Year

Hi Folks,
I hope you had a good weekend!! Below I have a short devot., a quiz, a sermon link and a short song.  I found this devotional last week and thought it was another timely devot. for the start of this year!

I have heard of folks who pray, ask the Lord to give them 'a word' for the year. Just one word that will help them to grow more abundantly in their walk with Him, an area they need to work on in their personal life or, Scriptures they can find in the Bible that reflect that word. It may be 'peace', 'kindness', 'patience', 'selflessness'...etc.... 

The devot. better explains that finding 'a word for the year' will help a Believer live with more intentionality in the year ahead.

Below that is a quiz to help find your 'word' for the year. There is nothing magical or random about the quiz. I took it and the questions asked made me think of who I wish to be for the Lord this year, what I wish to accomplish in my life.

The word I came up with at the end of the quiz was "transform" and it was how I had been praying to the Lord 2 weeks ago! I asked God to remake me into who He wished me to be, chisel off the rough edges, so that I could be used in a greater way for Him and to bless others. Now I will be reading my Bible and looking for verses with that in mind-finding verses that show me what the Lord and I need work on in my life and how to do it:). 

I encourage you to read the devot. above and then take the quiz! It will really make you think and I believe will help you to see "This is who I wish the Lord would help me to become this year. This is who He wishes me to become and made me to be!!  I'm not going to be stagnant in my relationship with Him in 2021!"

The sermon link is practical and follows along the same lines. It was a big blessing and timely for me to listen to.  I was thinking last night of how the biggest way we can grow in our walk with God is to read His Word, and hear it spoken.

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Hebrews 10:17)


"As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving." Colossians 2:7

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." (Psalm 119:105-God's Word gives us light as we walk through life)


God's Word is our 'roadmap for life.' We will not know how He wishes us to live our lives for Him, what purpose He has for us down here without it. We may think we are ok in life, know where we are going and what we are about, but without reading /hearing what God says on the matter, we are really in the dark. Just as a plant needs water, air and sunlight to grow, we need God's Word and a walk with Him to grow. I have heard it said that "God did not save us, lick our back, throw us up against a wall hoping we would stick." :) He wishes to be a part of our everyday life. 

Lastly, the song below ties into everything-it is an encouragement to "Thrive!" To, "grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. " (2 Peter 3:18.)
It was an encouraging reminder for me, pray it blesses you as well.

I pray you have a very blessed weekend!

Devots. used by permission. Taken from https://www.dayspring.com/)
How Finding a Word for the Year Helps You Live Intentionally:
https://www.dayspring.com/articles/finding-a-word-for-your-year?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NEBNANN20201220HowChoosingAWordForYourYearHelpsYouLiveIntentionallyArticles&utm_term=DaySpring%20Newsletter%20%2B%20Daily%20Devotion%20List

Word for the Year Quiz: How It Works.
(Love their explanation about what 'finding a word for the year' means.)
https://www.dayspring.com/yourwordquiz?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NEBNANN20210103PostHolidayFatigueArticles&utm_term=DaySpring%20Newsletter%20%2B%20Daily%20Devotion%20List#/home

Sermon:  The Value of Faith:
https://livestream.com/opendoorchurchlive/services/videos/215837268
(Scroll to the 19 minute mark for the start of the sermon. I will listen to sermons in snippets while catching up on emails late at night, over lunch break or friends have done so while driving to and from work or washing dishes, so there is a way to stick it in:)

Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ71RWJhS_M

No comments:

Post a Comment