Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Devot. God's Precious Name

Dear Friends,
 
I hope you had a great weekend!  
 
In light of the devot. last week, exploring the name of Jesus Christ and remembering that His name means Savior and Messiah, I wish to share something that is a burden on my heart-how we use the Lord's name in everyday language.
What I wish to share is not to judge, but to enlighten, get us to think, and evaluate.  
 
 Exodus 20:7 states, "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain."   We are commanded, by God Himself, to not use His name in a way  that is "fruitless", "useless", and I also think disrespectfully.   
 
I heard someone say a few months ago, "When someone bump's into something you never hear them say, 'O Satan!'  No, you hear them use God's name."    Our Saviour's name is bandied around, usually as a slang term, in our modern vernacular and not in a respectful way.  
 
I remember as a child my parents explaining to me that 'gosh' or 'jeez' was a form of God or Jesus and they taught me to not use either term out of respect.   Actually If you goggle "gosh", as I just did, the definition says, "used as a euphemism for “God”:"
 
James 3:8-10 says, " But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men,  which are made after the similitude of God.  Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be."

Today I want us to evaluate our language and how we use God's name in light of the holiness of His name and encourage us to substitute words when we see there is a need. 
(Even Google the terms you use and to see what they mean.) 
 
Below is a neat link I found explaining this verse in simple terms, the devot. and also a petition asking for the release of a pastor who has been in prison overseas for 12 years.   
 
I pray that you learn something this week!   Lord bless you!
 
 
Devot. http://www.icr.org/article/gods-precious-name/   Used by permission.   Taken from http://www.icr.org/)
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment