Saturday, May 30, 2015

Devot Lest Thou Forget

Dear Friends,
 
I hope you had a very blessed day with your families on Memorial Day!
I was thinking over a few things yesterday and how to share what is on my heart.
 
Memorial Day is a day to spend time without family and friends and relax, but it is also a day to remember
The word 'Memorial' as a noun means "something designed to preserve the memory of a person, event, etc., as a monument or a holiday."
As an adjective it means "preserving the memory of a person or thing; commemorative: "  (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/memorial)
 There are days in our nation's history that should be remembered.  I consider Memorial Day to rank up with 9/11 in that we must "Never Forget"
those who had/have the bravery to serve our country in order that our nation and families remain safe from terror (unlike our brothers and sisters overseas who live in countries where they and their families have terror in their backyards and are dying for their faith).   
 
These folks have done what I have not been bold  enough to do-enlist and serve my country and fellow citizens knowing that I may been called to give my life in order that others might live.    The food for thought on my church's bulletin Sunday said, "Freedom is not free.  All gave some, but some gave all." 
Our service men and women give up so much (family time, weddings, b'days, seeing kids grow up, their lives sometimes). I have seen this first hand as my best friend from high school takes over the raising of their children while her husband serves.   
 Whatever 'side of the aisle' you are on when it comes to your view of military service, we are one; we are brothers and sisters because of relationship with Jesus.
But Memorial Day is a day to remember bravery, sacrifice and courage and it shouldn't be forgotten.  It has kept us safe and these traits are threaded through our nation's history.
If you or a loved has served, 'thank you" and if a loved one is serving, thank you for giving up time with them so that they can protect me and my family.  I am grateful.  
 I have included a very touching news article I just saw this week.   It was a huge blessing to me and I pray it touches your heart as well.  I have also included a very important petition to free two imprisoned pastors (overseas).  Their trial is in 3 days and they need voices crying for their release.  Please sign and pass along.
Article, Devot. and petition is below.
Lord bless and keep safe you and your families this weekend.
 Devot. http://www.icr.org/article/18155 (Used by permission. Taken from http://www.icr.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment