Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Devot. Halloween-It's History/Reformation Day

Dear Friends,

I pray you had a blessed weekend! 

The devot for today is a little food for thought concerning Halloween and also the significance October 31st, how the day itself, played in a role church history.


The devot. below is from a favorite Christian site of mine and the young lady who wrote it gets to the heart of matter in few words. (I would encourage you that if you have young ladies in your life between teen years and up into their 30's,  encourage them to frequent this site as it offers a great deal of encouragement on many topics.)

Anyway, I want you all to seriously consider what the devot. says and pray over the wisdom given.   It is how my parents raised me and I am extremely grateful for it.

Someone asked me last week if I would be dressing up for Halloween.   I adamantly answered no, but also saw an opportunity to explain myself.


My parents celebrated Halloween with my brothers, but when I came along they found out the history/roots of the day and decided not to do it with me.   I remember through as a kid
coming home from a friend's house where they were dressing up for the night.   I came home that night, dressed in all white and proudly proclaimed that I was an angel.  My mom
said something that profoundly made a positive impression in my mind.  She said, "Honey, just because you dress as something 'good' doesn't mean that you aren't celebrating what the day
represents."   It stuck in my mind and I went and changed.  


Now some of you may think, "You poor thing," but trust me if you read the history behind costumes (which this devot. shares) you will see that my mom was spiritually protecting me.  I also want to add
that I have never felt that I was missing anything.   While we do while we celebrate the day itself, as the Lord said in Psalm 118:24 that every day He has made  and we should rejoice and be glad in it,
we do not celebrate it as the world has made it.


A bit of history:  My pastor on Sunday said that as Christians, Oct. 31st is a prime day to share out faith.   This year is the 500th anniversary of "Reformation Day."  The day in which Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses, "proposals" to the door of a church in Wittenburg Germany declaring "these are the things in which you, the church,  are spiritually wrong and what God has truly said His Word."  

This was the beginning of the Gospel and the truth of faith through Jesus alone being shared with ordinary people as never before.  It was a turning point in the history of the church.   In the spiritual sense, Isaiah 9:2 could apply this day, "The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined."



Here is how we are going to do the devot. this week.  I have included 2 shot devots. below (Parts 1 and 2) that are a few paragraphs each, the 5 most important truths that were in Luther's 95 proposals (and they are ground solely in Scripture), and a very brief history of Reformation Day.


I pray these information is spiritual food for thought, you learn something important, and the Lord uses it in your life.   May He bless and keep you and yours this week!


Devot.
Part 1: http://www.liesyoungwomenbelieve.com/something-other-than-candy-to-chew-on/  (Used by permission.  Taken from http://www.liesyoungwomenbelieve.com/ )

Part 2: http://www.liesyoungwomenbelieve.com/two-more-reasons-to-pass-on-halloween/ (Used by permission.  Taken from http://www.liesyoungwomenbelieve.com/)

5 points of Luther's proposals: http://www.epm.org/blog/2010/Jun/15/five-central-teachings-protestant-reformation

History:  http://www.sundayschoollessons.com/refday.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment