Thursday, October 30, 2014

Devot. The Devil and Halloween


Dear Friends,
I pray you have had a good start to your week!
 
I wanted to write some things that have been a burden on my heart this week.  Please bear with me as I share.
The first is the title of this message.   For many folks Halloween is something fun to dress up for, esp. with the little people in your life. For some of us this event has deeper spiritual ramifications because we have learned what is behind the traditions, what it really means
to those who do not believe that Jesus is God, but that their god is Satan.  He is spoken of in Scripture as being 'the god of this world' that has blinded folks who do not know Jesus to the Truth (2 Cor. 4:4).  
I'm going to give you a little challenge.   Go to Wikipedia.com and type 'Halloween.'   A cursory read esp. from sections 2.1 to 4, will give the history behind Halloween, certain 'traditions' (pumpkins, jack-o-lanterns).  It is eye opening and I pray you  will take it seriously and see if from a spiritual standpoint.  Ask yourself the question: Am I a spreading spiritual 'light' or darkness by advocating, following these 'traditions.'  What Would Jesus Do?" 
 
As Christians we are to be 'salt and light' in this world (Matt. 5:13-16).   Just as salt adds flavor to food and light is supposed to bring brightness to darkness, so we are Christians are supposed to add a good 'flavor' to this world and shine for Jesus in our lives, not add to the spiritual darkness.  We are called to be an "example of the believers,...in conversation (lifestyle)."  1 Tim. 4:12  
I am very grateful that my parents choose to stop celebrating Halloween in our home when I was born.  They had trusted the Lord Jesus to save them shortly before my birth and then when I was little, they found a pamphlet at church that explained the deeper meaning behind this night.  They later read the book "Live Free" by Tom C. McKenney and it opened their spiritual eyes to the deeper meaning behind this scary night.  The Lord used it in a powerful way in our lives and I have felt very compelled to share this spiritual light with you through this devot. 
 
Secondly, I would love to ask each of you to join with me in praying once a day for our persecuted brothers and sisters in the world.  I was thinking today of the girls who are still being held captive in Nigeria; the ladies/children who have been taken by force by ISIS in Iraq; RUN Ministry (a ministry helping on the ground in Iraq) workers who have been murdered by ISIS and are in desperate need of prayer at this time; the refugees who RUN is been taking in and taking care; a Christian mom, Asia Bibli, in Pakistan who is due to hang for her faith (Her story is along the lines of Miriam).  There is a petition on aclj.org calling for her release that will only take a minute to sign.  It's on the left side of the screen, scroll down a bit.   Please sign!
Our prayers can change things.  James 5:16 says that 'the effectual ('able to produce a desired effect'-meriam-mebster.com), fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."   
Pray you have a blessed week and please consider all has been given this week.  The Lord burdened my heart to share, so please take it as a message from Him:)
Scripture Link: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john+3%3A17-21&version=KJV  (An invite to walk in spiritual light)

Devot. http://www.icr.org/article/devil-halloween/

No comments:

Post a Comment