Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Devot. A Help in Sorrow

Hi Folks,
Hope you stayed warm this weekend!  I just keep reminding myself that spring will be here soon:)
We are back to Verse 3 of our hymn Jesus, What a Friend for Sinners.
As the title implies, Jesus is a help/comfort in sorrow.   My own family found this out about a dozen years ago when we lost a dear loved one.  
 1 Corinthians 1:3-5  says that God gives us comfort so that we can come others in time (paraphrase).
This has become very true for us and I mentioned in the devot. last week, my parents facilitate a faith based program called Grief Share at our church.
I have seen transformations, hope and healing through the weeks that folks come to talk and share.  Many have said that the Lord has been providing them
comfort and support and well as finding comfort in sharing.    I would encourage you that if you have lost someone dear,  no matter how long it has been, or you know
someone who is grieving, check this site out and find one  being hosted in  your state/county.   There are many around!!  http://www.griefshare.org/
I pray this devot. encourages you this week and you gain something that can be passed on!   God bless!  Devot. below.



 
Share with a friend

 
 January 7, 2016
A Help in Sorrow
“And the ransomed of the LORD shall return, and come to Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.” (Isaiah 35:10)
 
Christians have received great joy and hope for the future, but make no mistake, there are troubles in this life. Christ promised that even if we “weep and lament . . . your sorrow shall be turned into joy” (John 16:20). The third verse of “Jesus! What a Friend for Sinners” expresses this well.
Jesus! what a Help in sorrow!
While the billows o’er me roll,
Even when my heart is breaking,
He, my Comfort, helps my soul.
Our text shows that even when Israel was about to be captured and exiled, Isaiah still anticipated their return and ultimate victory. “Therefore the redeemed of the LORD shall return, and come with singing unto Zion; and everlasting joy shall be upon their head: they shall obtain gladness and joy; and sorrow and mourning shall flee away” (Isaiah 51:11).
 
In this life He has not left us without comfort, for Christ promised His disciples, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:27). Even when death and separation are imminent, “I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope” (1 Thessalonians 4:13).
 
And in the next life, the “forever” life, “God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away” (Revelation 21:4). JDM
 
Click here for the sheet music for this hymn.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment